Jura Coffee Maker
When it comes to the world of coffee machines, Jura is a well-known brand that has been manufacturing top-notch espresso machines for several years. They are a unique brand with specialized brand positioning, wherein they manufacture only fully or super-automated coffee machines. They can make cappuccinos, macchiato, flat whites, and lattes at the touch of a button. Also, you can see their commitment to making good coffees in their research. They have patented the very unique Pule Extraction Process which guarantees the best aroma and optimizes the extraction time even for short specialty coffees.
Jura has several different sets of coffee machines, each with its own unique sets of features and functionality. However, they are all committed to the same job. Making you the best coffee that you can taste at home through automation. The range is diverse and choosing the best one among the lot for yourself, apart from the price, would give you a panic attack. But you do not have to worry as we have taken care of all the research beforehand and presented you the lineup with all their product features in an easy-to-understand manner. So stay tuned and follow us as we take you on their product lineup review.
Payback time for coffee machine (or Return on Investment)
Let us all agree that anything that costs over 1000 dollars is really a huge investment for a lot of people and they would easily want to stay away from it. Therefore a lot of people are wary of a coffee machine at home even if they love coffee a lot. But if you look at the long run, if you are a regular coffee drinker alone, the machine will pay back its investment in just a year. Surprised? Let us help you with the math. Take out your calculator and calculate how much you would spend over the year for a 3 dollar coffee, just 2 times a day for 365 days. At 2160 dollars for an entire year, we have still not included expenses for the coffee beans and milk, but even the overall numbers speak for themselves. Also, the machines are well built and also built to last. If you maintain them regularly, they would easily last several years without any additional expenses. And we missed the best part. If you have a family, everyone takes advantage of this investment. Imagine having the best coffee at home and that too cheap. I am sure this last bit of info has set you thinking, you will now look at coffee machines differently.
First, let us understand the process of understanding your requirements and choosing the right one for you.
- Budget: One of the most important factors is the price involved. Coffee is like an expensive hobby, but something that you will need several times a day for you and your family. So depending on the requirement and the capacity used, you will have to choose the right machine for you. But these machines do not come cheap as they are highly specialized and automated pieces of technology. Prices can range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars. Decide on a budget first, because that will be the biggest deciding factor. Even the basic machines make great coffee, just that the top-end machines have a lot of additional features and functionality to enhance user experience and the coffee-making process.
- Machine capacity: The capacity and the size of the machine are also important and directly co-relate to daily usage. If you have a large family, imagine queuing up at the coffee machine at breakfast if the machine is slow. The same goes if you have a commercial establishment that wants to serve coffee to customers. However, if you are single, a hobbyist, or a small family, the needs would be far different.
- Machine maintenance and servicing: Since the machines are automated, we are aware that all machines need maintenance, whether automated or not. It is even more important for kitchen appliances as hygiene is of prime importance. Nowadays machines have evolved enough to have a self-cleaning program feature, so you will have to look for one which has either this feature or is relatively easy to clean and maintain. For a manual cleaning machine, you may have to clean it every few days.
Additional things to consider before buying
There are additional features that are mostly self-explanatory, but we thought it would be mindful to list them here so you do not miss out on them.
- Types of coffees
- Milk frother and steamer
- Personalization and Smart Controls
- Automatic cleaning programs or easy to clean
- Grinding levels, brew size, and brew speed
- Custom brewing options
- Automation or hands-on product
- Space consumed
- Environmental impact
Now that we have set the basics in place, let’s start reviewing some of the products that Jura has in its stable. We will start with the most affordable product and progress in the line up to the high-end ones which come with a lot of bells and whistles.
Jura ENA Micro 1
This the lowest in the series of Jura products when it comes to the product range and the price, but it does not compromise on the quality. It does not deliver any fancy coffees, but it does what it is made for beautifully. This one is for people who like to keep it simple and straightforward. A simple, small and sleek design adds to the look and compliments the functionality. It can easily deliver a good shot of good espresso despite its small size. However, if you are looking at milk-based coffee’s this one is not the one for you. It does not have a steamer or a frother, which have to be done separately by you. Its an alternative to pod and capsule machines which is an eco-friendly alternative for those that are environmentally conscious. The reservoir size is 37 ounces and the bean hopper capacity is 4 ounces. This Swiss-designed and Swiss-engineered product comes with a Stainless steel thermoblock and has a power rating of 1450 Watts over 120 Volts power supply. Though small it weighs a surprising 19 pounds and has product dimensions of 2.7″ high x 9″ wide x 17.5″ deep.
- Simple touch panel operation
- Built-in burr grinder
- Small, sleek, and well built
- Relatively cheap
- You can only make 3 types of coffees
- Devoid of any streamer or frother
Jura ENA Micro 9
A lot of times you live in a small space in an expensive neighborhood, or you have a small space like a small cafeteria in an office or even a small functional kitchen. When space is king, you need a smaller machine with the same quality of coffee and the Jura ENA Micro 9 series is just that. This is probably the smallest of all the one-touch espresso machines out there. Also, you get the much-needed functionality to make macchiatos, lattes, and any such drinks because it comes with an in-built steamer and frother unit. The machine is designed to be simple and just do basic jobs, but offer varied types of coffees for you. Therefore the features and functionality are limited as Jura has kept it intentionally simple. Designed for people on the go who are happy with their regular cup of cappuccino, latte, or a good espresso and not overly concerned about the science and art behind making coffee or experimenting with it. With the 15-bar pressure pump, small footprint, and fast, you can have your coffee in a minute, which is not bad for a machine of this size. The compact design dimensions are 17.5 x 9 x 12.7 inches but weigh 51 pounds. A powerful thermoblock 2100 pump ensures pre-heating the contents so that it can steam in just 30 seconds.
A great value for money, it also has conical grinders, adjustable water hardness, and an easy cleaning mechanism built into the system.
- Can deliver a variety of espresso-based drinks
- Burr grinder built-in
- Built-in steamer, milk frother with Fine Foam Technology
- The spout is height adjustable
- It appears as just too simple
The Jura Impressa J6
Truly a machine of the future, made available today, this machine can be controlled and operated from your smartphone. So that you only get up and go when the coffee is ready. It incorporates state-of-the-art technologies and features like Pulse Extraction Process, Aroma grinder, TFT display, and unmatched design aesthetic. Over the smartphone Jura app, you can control features like temperatures for multiple specialty coffees, their strengths, and also including amounts of beans for that perfect brew you were longing for. The brewing process is optimized by the patented Pulse Extraction Process (PEP), which enhances the extraction time. One-touch functionality makes coffee (milk-based drinks cappuccino, latte, macchiato) at merely the touch of a button. Fine Foam Technology ensures milk foam that is fine & light. You will need the Jura Smart Connect Bluetooth adapter to operate the Wi-Fi coffee maker.
- One-touch operation
- Pre-programmed up to 11 options with six buttons
- Customizable to coffee strengths, temperatures and cup sizes, and froth settings
- Built-in burr grinder
- Can do 45 espressos without refilling
- Quite expensive
- Plastic built
- Technical issues will be complex to repair
This one is an absolute masterpiece of art and functionality in the Jura top-line range. This product will double your range of specialty coffees. A best-in-class touch screen functionality enables you to make flat white coffee or an intense espresso with a few touches. Also, the newly introduced cold brew technology will enable you to enjoy a vast assortment of cold coffees in summers or whenever your mood be. The remarkable Product Recognition Grinder, nicknamed the PRG, will recognize the type of coffee specialty and will automatically adjust the precise fineness of the required grind for it How cool is that! On top of that Jura has engineered a specific process by which at high pressure, cold water is drawn through a fresh ground of coffee powder. The result is a refreshingly different taste of coffee, complete with a beautifully balanced aroma and a completely new way of experiencing coffee. They have termed it the Cold Extraction Process. As a product, it sports a large 4.3-inch touch display and a Blue Crystal Rotary Switch. The design itself is so beautifully sleek and eye-catching, that it will be a good showpiece in your kitchen as well. The latest features couple with industry-leading Artificial Intelligence technology will make the product intuitive and easy to use for just about anyone in the family.
While I agree, this product is out of budget for most, coffee lovers may still find it interesting. The reason for its introduction here is to make you understand the kind of dedication, research, and commitment Jura has when it comes to coffee and its products. So even if you buy even the most basic of its products, you can rest assured that it has gone through the best engineering and product development efforts. Jura is certainly not just marketing, their products do live up to their name for a long time.
- Extremely intuitive and easy to use
- Good looking
- Cold Extraction Technology
- Hot and Cold coffee machine
- Product Recognition Grinder
While we have seen a variety of coffee machines, these are not the complete range. We would recommend you check out their complete range of products and go for the one that best appeals to you. Remember, a coffee machine is an investment that will serve you for many years. It will also save you a ton of money in the long run for you and your family. So though it may look unnecessary and expensive at the first look, think about the 2 -3 dollars you spend on coffee several times a day. It’s like having a Starbucks at home without the costs associated. I am sure you are already sold on the idea of getting a coffee machine by now.